Wild Earth is a technology startup developing clean protein foods that are healthier, better for the environment, and more humane than conventional products. We are a mission-driven company that is reinventing food with science. We’re passionate about creating delicious, nutritious, and healthful food that is better for the planet and doesn’t involve animal cruelty of any kind. This means no animal by-products, no animal testing - nothing!
The Facilities Manager ensures the safe and high-functioning operation of our food pilot plant and commercial kitchen facility. From mechanical and electrical troubles to running pilot production, and everything in between (yes, general upkeep too!). You will help us find small-scale manufacturing solutions in the shortest amount of time using data to drive thoughtful decision-making and breakthrough processes.
- Coordinate food pilot plant operations on a daily basis, while overseeing upkeep and safety of facilities, including the Food Safety Program
- Create SOPs for new pilot-scale processes, as well as the overall facility, that scale easily and keep operational quality high
- Collaborate with Wild Earth product/process teams by providing process input and scale-up solutions on pilot trials, assisting on batch volume optimization, and responding to process variabilities
- Foster a collaborative and organizational learning environment across the Wild Earth teams
- Participate in troubleshooting initiatives surrounding pilot processing, quality and equipment failures
- Partner with Wild Earth team to preserve the facility as it compares to our standards for food safety, equipment performance and maintenance, intervening quickly and effectively where needed
- Select key vendors for suppliers, maintenance contractors, technical contractors, security contractors and pest control services while balancing time, cost, and strategic relationships
- Manage the overall repairs and maintenance budget and ensure that we are always finding the most cost-effective ways to keep Wild Earth’s facilities both beautiful and operating as intended
- Lead the benchmarking of equipment additions to our catalogue, establishing when we select potential new equipment that meet our technical and aesthetic standards to replace in-use assets
- A strategic thinker who is excited to roll up your sleeves when the work requires it
- Quick and proactive learner who can take on new training and responsibilities and foster a collaborative learning environment for our facilities
- Detail-oriented and a maniacal creator of lists, schedules and process diagrams, yet flexible and ‘can do’ when the inevitable surprise pops up that requires urgency and creativity to resolve
- Always ahead of schedule, you anticipate problems beforehand and take preventive measures to resolve them before they become an actual issue
- Empathetic and hospitable, always eager to listen to and understand the needs of the Wild Earth team across the company and then over-deliver in ways that consistently delight your colleagues
- An excellent communicator to share information and confidence about the status of the facility and its maintenance
- Four-year degree in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Food Science.
- 3+ years leading facility operations, pilot plant or manufacturing in food or life science industry.
- Familiarity or understanding of GMP’s
- Experience operating extruders and/or fermentation equipment
- Broad knowledge of a range of facility preservation and maintenance strategies and tactics, as well as equipment maintenance and repair
- Ideally familiarity with commercial kitchen equipment, culinary equipment such as ovens, ventilation fans, ranges, refrigerators, etc.
- Last but not least, a deep love for the craft of great food
- The following is a list of the physical activity, requirements, and environmental factors related to this role. Wild Earth is committed to partnering with all candidates and employees to ensure reasonable accommodations are made to meet the following:
- Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word;
- Exerting up to 50 pounds of force to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. This is an active role that will require up to 80% active floor time; must be able to work on feet for most of the day.
Wild Earth is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.