We're looking for a Biomaterials engineer to focus on the development of in vitro grown animal skins for leather applications. The candidate should be a reliable, highly motivated and exceptionally innovative biotechnologist who will work with the rest of the team on the development of novel biomaterials to support industrial-scale production of new tissues.
The successful candidate will be someone who feels comfortable thinking “outside the box,” has expertise in biomaterials, performing key critical assays to characterize cell / biomaterial interactions and has experience translating these materials into tissue engineering products.
· Developing biomaterials to support the growth of tissues that can be easily scaled and manufactured at large scale
· Work with other team members on the impact of changes of inputs such as new cell lines and media formulations on the generation of tissues
· Optimize processes that will help reduce the cost of goods
· Oversee personnel in the development of biomaterials; work closely with both internal and external design engineers to further develop complex systems
· Develop and perform analytical tools to characterize biomaterials and corresponding in vitro grown tissues
· Experience in scaling R&D projects to pilot and production scale
· Experience in process engineering
· Oversee the design of systems using a variety of computational techniques
· Provide guidance to other members of the team in the field of biomaterials and tissue engineering
· Knowledgeable and proficient in cell / biomaterial interactions, in vitro tissue formation, and assays to support tissue characterization
· Follow Good Laboratory Practices and Standard Operating Procedures and adhere to all safety and company policies
· Interact with colleagues to report research results and outcomes by performing calculations and data analysis
· Daily activities will include working in the laboratory to generate engineered tissues and develop and perform specific assays to characterize the product in 3D culture systems
· Evaluate new methods, technologies and processes to independently advance the tissue engineering aspects of the company’s projects
· Able to present data in a concise manner to both internal and external audiences
· Maintain and update laboratory notebooks
· Applicant must be willing and able to work a flexible work schedule including early mornings, late evenings, and some weekends
· The successful candidate must have a Ph.D. in Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering, Biotechnology or a related field or an advanced degree with an appropriate level of experience
· Experience working with cells grown on biomaterials is a plus
· Experience with both absorbable and non-absorbable materials a plus; understanding and communicating with outside vendors on generating various fabrics is a plus
· Experience in dermal tissue engineering is a plus
· Minimum of 5 years of post-graduate experience, ideally from industry
· Experience in the use of Design of Experiments (DOE) is a plus
· Demonstrated personal or professional projects that align with the role
· superior organizational skills with attention to detail, the ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously and accurately, and be able to adjust rapidly to shifting priorities and variable workloads
· Able to communicate well in oral/written format and must possess adequate computer skills for word processing and data management.
· Authorized to work in U.S.