At Shiru we believe that food should be delicious and nourishing without negatively affecting our planet. Acknowledging our growing global population as well as the imminent effects of climate change, Shiru’s mission is to create better protein ingredients that will catapult us into a sustainable food future.
With our mission in mind, Shiru makes high quality, functional food proteins through better leveraging our precious environmental resources. To do this, we employ technologies originally created to solve problems in adjacent industries, including computational biology, machine learning, and industrial fermentation and bioprocessing.
We apply computational intelligence to find the most functional natural food proteins in the world, harnessing the inherent ability of microflora to produce them. We then partner with food and beverage companies to incorporate these unique protein ingredients into everyday products. Shiru is now expanding our team of dedicated professionals across multiple disciplines to make enhanced protein ingredients for a better world.
In this role, you will build the foundation of Shiru’s computational search engine for functional food proteins. At Shiru you will be responsible for building out an innovative computational platform that integrates machine learning, protein modeling and design, and food functionality data to identify and enhance high value proteins from plants, microorganisms, and animals for a wide variety of food applications. Ultimately, your work will result in a library of protein sequences with unique and tailored functionality capable of replacing traditional animal-based proteins for food.
You’ll analyze protein sequence datasets and published structures. You will create a scalable and robust data infrastructure to serve Shiru far into its future serving as the company’s core infrastructure for intelligence and discovery. Your role at Shiru will be varied, with clear communication with the team critical to your success. Ensuring that your workflow is fully integrated and well-aligned the work of other teams, as well as sharing your findings in an articulate manner, will guide you towards success in this position.
You’re an expert in computational biology with machine learning experience and a passion for food innovation for the betterment of the planet. You might be transitioning from academia into the start-up world, or you may be coming from a large company where you’ve wrangled huge datasets to extract novel learnings. You enjoy creating solutions from scratch and thrive on multi-disciplinary work and have an endless hunger for knowledge, learning, and growth.
- Lead computational investigations that apply machine-learning approaches to structural biology as it relates to food, resulting in functional protein discoveries that enable a more sustainable food industry
- Design, develop, and implement a machine-learning based framework across a range of learning objectives, including protein function prediction and structural enhancement, among others
- Capture, curate, and manage data sets, including creating data analysis tools and databases
- Curate protein libraries for expression in microflora and subsequent functionality validation
- Build and maintain Shiru’s computational infrastructure, including apps, pipelines, servers, databases, and cloud services
- Stay up to date on literature covering cutting edge approaches and new datasets
- You are generally flexible, self-motivated, resourceful, calm, and adaptive
- You are comfortable with a rapid pace of work in a dynamic environment
- You are equally comfortable challenging as you are with being challenged
- You expect work to be meaningful and to be part of a business dedicated to having a positive impact on the planet
- PhD in Computational Biology, Computational Chemistry, Bioinformatics, Cheminformatics, Machine Learning, Biostatistics, Biophysics, Computer Science, or a related discipline
- Proven expertise applying computational/statistical/machine learning approaches to biological investigations
- Expert in Python, solid on applied statistics, and have a broad knowledge of bioinformatics tools and databases
- Experience in protein structure/modeling is highly desirable
- Strong collaborative and oral and written communication skills, able to transmit complex concepts to specialists from your own and other fields with ease
At Shiru, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. We’re expecting your skills and passion to stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. Please join us in this singular opportunity to create the future of food!
Shiru is an equal opportunity employer and who values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Shiru offers competitive compensation and employee benefits along with an attractive equity package commensurate with candidate qualifications.