Location: Emeryville, CA
Position: Full time, non-exempt
Required Education: Versed in culinary arts with some knowledge and or interest in food science, minimum of 2 years in full-service restaurant, bakery, R&D kitchen or culinary graduate.
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Run hospitality program at Perfect Day, ability to independently test recipes and record detailed data, cook and serve meals to visitors.
Perfect Day is close to commercializing its first animal-free dairy protein products and we are seeking an intelligent, motivated Sous Chef to join our Food Development team. The ideal candidate will be driven and will do what it takes to contribute to a small team in a fast paced, startup environment.
- Oversee the hospitality program at Perfect Day HQ, including shopping and cooking meals for visiting guests, setting up beverages and snacks for meetings, keeping inventory of hospitality supplies.
- Responsible for cleanliness and overseeing maintenance of the culinary kitchen, kitchen equipment and inventory management.
- Assist with experiments and recipe testing as needed utilizing knowledge of food ingredients, food products & food manufacturing processes &cooking techniques to perform experiments, testing the effectiveness of functional properties of microflora-based proteins in above dairy & food product applications. Use bench top and pilot plant tools to conduct the experiment.
- Responsible for independent projects, culinary initiatives or as directed by the Research Chef.
- 2-4 years’ experience in a full-service restaurant, bakery or R&D kitchen or recent culinary graduate.
- Understanding of food ingredients, nutrition, and cooking tools.
- Candidate must possess experience with multiple styles of cooking and baking.
- Candidate must possess a high-level communication skills, organization, and collaborative skills, and demonstrated ability to innovate, troubleshoot, and thrive in a dynamic cross-functional team environment.
- Ability to think and adapt to a rapidly changing environment.
- Maintain a high degree of accuracy and meticulous attention to detail.
- Capable of managing independent projects while working in team setting.
- Ability to step up and perform kitchen duties as assigned including but not limited to – food purchasing,
- ingredient weighing, batching, recipe development and testing, food processing.
- Shipping samples to customers, managing incoming samples.
- Washing dishes as required.
- True love of hospitality, unphased by changing projects & priorities, humble, patient and unperturbed by chaos.
- Have a current Serve Safe certification or be willing to get certified within 30 days of hire.
Position requires the ability to stand or sit for prolonged periods, climb, kneel, bend, and consistently lift up to 50 lbs.
Position located in a mix of typical laboratory, workshop and kitchen environments, and requires a tolerance for high worker traffic, close quarters, noise, odors, dust, transiently wet and dirty floors, and varying room temperatures and lighting.