Perfect Day was founded in 2014 to create delicious, nutritious dairy products that everyone can love. We’re using fermentation (not animals) to make dairy proteins that are the foundation for foods like ice cream, cheese and yogurt – all with the distinctive taste and textures that consumers demand, but without lactose or environmental downsides. Through partnerships with respected brands, we’re working to launch a whole range of dairy products that will help shape a humane, sustainable food system for future generations.
We are seeking an intelligent, motivated, enthusiastic Sr. Director to join our Food Application Development team. The ideal candidate will be driven and will do what it takes to contribute to a small team in a fast paced, startup environment.
- Lead development of NPD strategy, plan, and pipeline in partnership with B2B & consumer brand team, Ingredient R&D & Commercialization team.
- Lead Product team in delivering new product commitments and product improvements on time, on budget, on margin, aligned to product pillars and in full compliance with regulatory requirements for claims and documentation.
- Oversee Regulatory efforts to bulletproof compliance across product portfolios, implement policies and procedures and resolve any issues that arise.
- Oversee development of active profile for new/reformulated products, creation of formula recipes, identification of unique raw materials, identification of claim space, and support development of marketing claims.
- Lead the efforts to create systems & processes that support efficient food R&D. Approve SOPs, labels and claims documents.
- Enable the growth, development and resourcing of the Food Applications Team
- Support cross functional initiatives, including consumer research, cost-savings, competitive landscape analysis, and resolution of consumer response inquiries and quality issues.
- Remain on the forefront of emerging industry trends, nutritional sciences, ingredient/supplier landscape, competitor products, strategies, and activities to build and differentiate the product pipeline and identify new opportunities for product claims and positioning
- 12+ years of experience in food or dairy products R&D across business channels – retail, B2B & food service
- Minimum 10 years leading cross-functional food R&D teams
- Proven experience with the mass consumer in assessing insights and translating to product features/benefits
- Formulation and/or direct experience in a contract manufacturing environment commercializing product at mass scale
- Experience building and leading food R&D teams, generating & managing intellectual property
- Experience with leading food application development through active risk management in an extremely fast paced environment with customer first attitude
- Innovation insight development, opportunity identification, concept and product testing, project management and sourcing skills
- Conceptual thinker with a passion for innovation and keen ability to spot trends and generate fresh ideas
- Experience managing regulatory compliance
- Effective collaborator & consensus builder amidst ambiguity with peers across the organization
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and thrive in a deadline driven environment
- Extremely well connected with vendors, CROs, CMOs & great at forging partnerships
- Experience with IT systems that enable food R&D – formulation software, ERP, PLM & PDM systems
- Demonstrates good EQ awareness and skills and building those skills in direct reports as well
May require 25% travel.
Position located in a mix of corporate & typical laboratory environment.