Required Education: MS/PhD or equivalent in microbiology, biochemistry, chemical engineering or related field.
Perfect Day is working to commercialize its first animal-free dairy protein products. We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated scientist to join our screening team. The ideal candidate will have strong interpersonal skills and be driven to do what it takes to contribute to a small cross-functional team in a fast paced, collaborative, start-up environment
- Develop and execute high-throughput screening (HTS) and selection assays for fungal strains leading to desired improvements such as target productivity and background protein reduction
- Develop plate model for strain/media screening and establish correlation to bioreactors run at larger volume
- Be the technical lead in collaborations with CROs for drafting and executing HTS projects
- Manage and mentor junior team members
- Maintain knowledge of current/relevant strain engineering and high-throughput screening literature.
- Experience in developing high-throughput assays including ELISA, spectroscopy and flow cytometry for protein targets in crude and purified sample backgrounds
- Ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams and communicate effectively
- Ability to design, execute and analyze experiments independently and in a proactive manner
- Expertise in the following areas is highly desired - small-scale cultivation and handling of filamentous fungi; Microfluidics and cell or particle sorting
- Training or experience in the following areas is preferred - automation and robotics; LIMS and statistical analysis; Project management
- Some travel will be required
- Ability to stand or sit for prolonged periods, climb, kneel, bend, and at times lift objects as heavy as 50 lbs
Work Environment: Position located in a mix of typical laboratory, workshop and kitchen environments, and requires a tolerance for high worker traffic, close quarters, noise, odors, dust, transiently wet and dirty floors, and varying room temperatures and lighting.