Location: Berkeley/Emeryville, CA
Position: Full time, exempt
Required Education: BS in Science field
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Quality Assurance and Quality Control expertise in the food/dairy industry. Knowledge of fermentation-derived food products preferred.
Perfect Day is working to commercialize animal-free dairy protein products made through fermentation in flora. We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Quality Assurance Manager to lead Quality Assurance of Perfect Day’s flora-based dairy protein. The ideal candidate will be driven and will do what it takes to contribute to a small team in a fast paced, collaborative start-up environment.
- Oversee the development, implementation and maintenance of quality assurance systems, programs and activities (including conducting Food Safety, GMP audits) to achieve compliance with international, federal, state and/or local regulations as they apply to health, food safety, and labeling requirements
- Ensure manufactured products are produced in compliance with company specifications, policies and government regulations.
- Generate and author Perfect Day’s quality manual system
- Oversee generation and review of documents used in GMP. Monitor statistical process control data and generate CAPA as needed.
- Monitor audits of production and Quality Control areas
- Responsible for effective implementation and/or utilization of approved analytical methods to ensure the high quality of raw materials, semi-finished products, finished products and packaging materials
- Analyze non-conformities and quality problems to determine root cause and implement corrective action including addressing customer complaints
- Prepare plant(s) for 3rd party audits and SQF readiness and compliance
- Primary contact maintaining compliance for identity preserved certifications such as Kosher and Halal
- Provides HACCP analysis of the production process and food safety plans (in line with minimum requirements given in global/cross-site production HACCP analysis)
- Implement and maintain GMP procedures, pest control system etc. and conduct verification activities
- In charge of Product release, 3rd party batch record review and generating final COA
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a related field
- Minimum 5+ years Quality Assurance and Quality Control experience in the food industry at managerial level
- Strong interpersonal skills and attention to detail
- Ability to effectively prioritize and manage multiple projects/workload
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Firm understanding of GMP, HACCP, SSOP, SQF Certification process and FSCC. Thorough understanding and knowledge of 21CFR117
- Self-starter with good organizational skills; able to work effectively in cross-functional teams, provide strong analytic and process design skills, root cause analysis, training and general communication
- Project management training is an advantage
- Some travel will be required
Position located in a mix of typical laboratory, workshop and kitchen environments, and requires a tolerance for high worker traffic, close quarters, noise, odors, dust, transiently wet and dirty floors, and varying room temperatures and lighting.