Location: Berkeley, CA
Position: Full time, non-exempt
Required Education: BS in Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, Chemistry or Biochemistry, or a similar discipline.
Area(s) Of Expertise Desired: Lab scale and pilot scale development of downstream purification processes, technology transfer, and scale-up to commercial manufacturing.
Perfect Day is working to commercializing its first animal-free dairy protein products. We are seeking a skilled and experienced Process Development Engineer to join our process development team, owning research and development activities to successfully develop, optimize and scale the production process from the laboratory through pilot plant into commercial facilities. The ideal candidate will have strong technical and interpersonal skills and will be driven to do what it takes to contribute to a small team in a fast paced, collaborative start-up environment.
- Maintain safe practices and work environment.
- Be a strong technical contributor for development and optimization of downstream recovery and purification processes, with prior experience in multiple relevant unit operations and separations technologies.
- Excel within existing downstream process development program to deliver on objectives.
- Independently design and execute experiments and contribute meaningfully to projects in collaboration with other downstream processing (DSP) and cross-functional team members.
- Collaborate with DSP team members to maximize their contribution and meet objectives.
- BS in Chemical or Biochemical Engineering or related discipline with a minimum of 2 years direct experience in downstream separations and purification technology, process development and scale-up.
- Significant technical expertise in development, implementation and optimization of recovery, purification, and spray drying processes at lab scale and pilot scale.
- Experience addressing issues with downstream processing at commercial scale is an advantage.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, able to work effectively in cross-functional teams.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and manage a challenging workload.
- Prior experience with protein purification and/or food processing is an advantage.
- Ability to stand or sit for prolonged periods, climb, kneel, bend, and at times lift objects as heavy as 50 lbs.
- Some travel will be required.
Position located in a mix of typical laboratory, workshop and kitchen environments, and requires a tolerance for high worker traffic, close quarters, noise, odors, dust, transiently wet and dirty floors, and varying room temperatures and lighting.