Job Title: People & Culture Partner
Reports To: Director of People & Culture
FLSA Status: Exempt
Work Location: Emeryville, CA
Perfect Day is working to commercialize its first animal-free dairy protein products. We are seeking an experienced and versatile People & Culture Partner to execute practices and objectives to support the broader Perfect Day team in all things People & Culture. The ideal candidate will have strong technical and interpersonal skills and be driven to do what it takes to contribute to a small cross-functional team in a fast paced, collaborative, start-up environment.
- Assisting employees and managers by handling People & Culture related questions, interpreting and explaining policies, and helping resolve employee relations issues as needed.
- Investigating and resolving employee issues. Assisting and coaching managers with corrective performance programs.
- Working with front line managers to assess their skill gaps and training needs. Works to close skill gaps through internal or external training opportunities, assisting in the design and facilitation of training.
- Conducts new employee onboarding to review company mission, values, goals, benefits and the workplace.
- Maintains electronic personnel and HRIS files.
- Responsible for benefits administration within client group to include new hire paperwork, open enrollment, employee verifications, unemployment claims and compliance.
- Manages leave of absences including FMLA, LOA, Military Leaves, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability and ensuring that all relevant paperwork is completed and returned timely to the relevant parties.
- Assists employees and managers with questions about creation of individual development plans.
- Assists with the assessment of talent in the organization and planning for future development and succession through talent review.
- Coordinates communication of People & Culture initiatives as well as related news on intranet including but not limited to employee announcements, organizational charts and other resources.
- Informs payroll of adjustments and information impacting payroll in a timely, accurate manner.
- Monitors job descriptions and revises as necessary.
- Maintains knowledge and ensures compliance with federal, state and local legal requirements by keeping abreast of existing and new legislation; anticipating legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions.
- Workers comp claim administration and coordination with the Lab & Facilities Manager.
- Acts as project lead on various transformational People & Culture projects, regional, national and international.
- Own and/or assist with a variety of People & Culture initiatives and processes.
- Suggest improvements to existing work flows, or work flows where none exist.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of relevant experience in an HR/People Generalist, Manager or Business Partner capacity.
- 1-3 years of talent management experience required.
- Significant experience leading employees and/or clients and influencing outcomes.
- Experience with Confluence a plus.
- Strong knowledge of Federal and California State employment laws. Other state law knowledge a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to influence others.
- Strong customer focus orientation.
- Excellent facilitation and communication skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency with general business acumen.
- Strong team player with the ability to build and nurture solid relationships at all levels within the organization as well as external to the organization.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including tact, honesty, maturity, etc.
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and achieve effective time management.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet established goals and objectives.
- Sense of urgency and ability to meet deadlines; self-directed.
- Experience in scientific or technical recruiting within biotech or life sciences is a plus.
- Proficient in Applicant Tracking Systems (experience with Lever is a plus), Microsoft Office applications and common recruiting sites and tools (LinkedIn, Glassdoor).
- Strong team spirit.