Location: Berkeley, CA
Position: Full time, non-exempt
Required Education: High school graduate. Associates degree or enrolled in Bachelor’s program in science, engineering, biological sciences, chemistry, chemical engineering, life sciences, or similar.
Perfect Day is working to commercialize its first animal-free dairy protein products. We are seeking an intelligent, enthusiastic, motivated Lab Technician to join our Downstream Processing team. The ideal candidate will be driven and will do what it takes to contribute to a small team in a fast paced, collaborative start-up environment. This position will help execute separations and purification experiments and assist with other laboratory-related tasks as required. The position is full time.
- Maintain safe practices and work environment.
- With guidance from Research Engineers and Associates, set up, operate, and maintain a variety of bench-scale separations equipment, including centrifuges, filters, scales, mixers, dryers, and more.
- Assist in carrying out separations and purification trials.
- Collect research samples and prepare samples for further analysis.
- Detailed record keeping (inventory, MSDS, routine maintenance, experimental/observational data) and report preparation. Maintain data in the databases.
- Clean equipment, assemblies, and glassware.
- Maintain inventory of consumable supplies, spare parts, equipment.
- Presenting research findings at team, project & company meetings.
- Suggesting improvements to existing work flows.
- Have fun! :-)
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school graduate. Associates degree or enrolled in Bachelor’s program in science, engineering, biological sciences, chemistry, chemical engineering, life sciences, or similar.
- Proven lab experience and reasonable mechanical aptitude a must.
- Ability to follow written standard operating procedures (SOPs) and verbal instructions.
- Objective approach to project work, understanding project priorities via effective communication.
- Disciplined approach to understand scope of experiments with guidance from Engineers and Associates.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Share knowledge and experimental findings with strong communication skills.
- Ability to stand or sit for prolonged periods, climb, kneel, bend, and at times lift objects as heavy as 50 lbs
Position located in a mix of typical laboratory, workshop and kitchen environments, and requires a tolerance for high worker traffic, close quarters, noise, odors, dust, transiently wet and dirty floors, and varying room temperatures and lighting.