Location: Berkeley, CA
Position: Full time
Required Education: Computer Science degree and/or related experience
Area(s) Of Expertise Desired: 3+ years of professional programming experience. Experience developing custom web applications in frameworks such as React.js. Experience with one major programming language such as Java or Python is a plus. Excellent communication skills, great intuition for UX and ability to anticipate user needs.
Description: Perfect Day is close to commercializing its first animal-free dairy protein products. We are a team of scientists and engineers, committed to the mission of delivering an environmentally and animal-friendly alternative to dairy products, without sacrificing the flavor or nutritional value. We are seeking an intelligent, motivated, enthusiastic Full-stack Web Developer to join our growing software engineering team. The ideal candidate will be comfortable developing web applications in a close feedback loop with a small team of scientists and engineers in a fast-paced startup environment.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Design, develop and maintain web-based applications for the R&D teams, such as sample tracking and data visualization.
- Collaborate with research scientists and engineers to transform an understanding of their workflow into user-friendly designs and implementations.
- Effectively communicate with other software engineers, specifically back-end and DevOps engineers, through discussions, API specifications and documentation.
- Apply best practices of software development throughout your work.
- Presenting at team, project & company meetings.
- Maintain safe practices and work environment and adhere to lab-grade safety standards when necessary.
- Ability to pick up and/or delegate a small number of ad-hoc tasks while staying focused on the critical path of a project.
- Min 3+ years of professional programming experience, preferably 5+.
- Experience developing custom web applications in frameworks such as React js.
- Experience with building web applications for users, with the demonstrated ability to turn user needs and requirements into user-friendly interfaces.
- Excellent communication skills, and the ability to quickly turn ideas into sketches and mock-ups.
- Familiarity with agile software engineering practices, including SCRUM, Kanban, continuous integration and unit testing.
Plus, Not Required:
- Fluent Linux command-line skills.
- Prior experience working with data visualization of real-life noisy data, for example from sensors or web traffic data.
- Experience with PostgreSQL or similar SQL databases.
- Ability to stand or sit for prolonged periods.
- If possible, please send us examples of your work.
The majority of the R&D team is located in Berkeley in a mix of typical laboratory, workshop and kitchen environments, and requires a tolerance for high worker traffic and noise. Our Emeryville location allows for a quieter, less distracting workspace.