Perfect Day is close to commercializing its first animal-free dairy protein products. We are a team of scientists and engineers, committed to the mission of delivering an environmentally and animal-friendly alternative to dairy products, without sacrificing the flavor or nutritional value.
We are seeking an intelligent, motivated, enthusiastic Data Engineer to join our growing Data Science & Engineering team. The ideal candidate will be comfortable developing custom data entry and automation pipelines in a close feedback loop with scientists and engineers in various lab environments.
- Design, develop and maintain ETL pipelines for data, both sourced from automated data acquisition from lab instruments and manual data entry by our R&D operations team(s) and collaborators.
- Collaborate with research scientists and engineers to develop these ETL pipelines.
- Effectively communicate with other software engineers, specifically back-end and DevOps engineers, through discussions, API specifications and documentation.
- Apply best practices of software development and data security throughout your work.
- Presenting at team, project & company meetings.
- Maintain safe practices and work environment and adhere to lab-grade safety standards when necessary.
- Ability to pick up and/or delegate a small number of ad-hoc tasks while staying focused on the critical path of a project.
- Min 1+ years of professional programming experience.
- Experience with PostgreSQL or similar SQL databases.
- Excellent data wrangling skills and experience with data pipeline libraries such as Airflow, Luigi or Prefect.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to explain technical concepts to non-experts.
- Familiarity with agile software engineering practices, including SCRUM, Kanban, continuous integration and unit testing.
Plus, Not Required:
- Experience with MS PowerShell and/or Linux bash.
- Prior experience working with real-life noisy data, for example from sensors or web traffic data.
- Ability to stand or sit for prolonged periods, climb, kneel, bend, and at times lift objects as heavy as 50 lbs.
- If possible, please send us examples of your work.
The majority of the R&D team is located in Berkeley in a mix of typical laboratory, workshop and kitchen environments, and requires a tolerance for high worker traffic and noise. Quiet, distraction-free offices are available at our Emeryville location.