Perfect Day is close to commercializing its first animal-free dairy protein products and we are seeking an intelligent, motivated, enthusiastic scientist to join our Food Development team. The ideal candidate will be driven and will do what it takes to contribute to a growing team in a fast paced, startup environment.
- With guidance help deliver R&D plans and strategies. Benchmark & develop product applications using characterized food ingredients from concept through product optimization and commercialization.
- With guidance maintain objectivity in project work through practical use of the scientific method. Apply knowledge of food ingredients, food products & food manufacturing processes to design experiments, plan & conduct experiments to demonstrate the effectiveness of the functional properties of microflora-based proteins in dairy & food product applications. Use bench top, analytical, and pilot plant tools to conduct the experiment.
- Is trained to perform sensory, food safety and nutrition review, shelf life validation, write intermediate & finished good specifications, develop product application material.
- Coordinating activities to bring projects to completion, while working in a collegial team environment and proactively keeping everyone on the same page.
- Bachelor’s degree with 3+ years in Food science or related field. Candidates with hands on food analytical lab and food pilot plant experience preferred. Must have experience working with dairy or non-dairy ice cream or dairy type frozen deserts.
- Broad understanding of food ingredients, nutrition, food analytical tools, food microbiology, unit operations in food processing, food product formulation and compositional properties, formulation and manufacture of dairy and food products.
- Demonstrates broad understanding of scientific techniques and industry standards appropriate to discipline of food product or ingredient development. Works independently with some guidance. Demonstrates high level of technical engagement.
- Candidate must possess experience with dairy protein functional properties.
- Candidate must possess a high level of technical aptitude, excellent communication, organization, and collaborative skills, and demonstrated ability to innovate, troubleshoot, intellectual curiosity and thrive in a dynamic cross-functional team environment.
- Critically analyzes results of the experiments, documents findings, contributes to project plans & experimental planning.
- Ability to step up and do any activities as assigned including but not limited to – lab supply management, ingredient weighing, batching, recipe development, food processing, storage, shelf life, material characterization, shipping & utensils cleaning as needed.
- Position requires the ability to stand or sit for prolonged periods, climb, kneel, bend, and consistently lift up to 50 lbs.
- Position located in a mix of typical laboratory, workshop and kitchen environments, and requires a tolerance for high worker traffic, close quarters, noise, odors, dust, transiently wet floors, and varying room temperatures and lighting.
Come join a company who wants people to enjoy the dairy foods they love - products full of delicious taste and luscious texture - all while making the world a kinder, greener place.