Perfect Day is close to commercializing its first animal-free dairy protein products and we are seeking an intelligent, motivated, enthusiastic scientist to join our Food Development team. The ideal candidate will be driven and will do what it takes to contribute to a small team in a fast paced, startup environment.
- With guidance help deliver R&D plans and strategies. Characterize food proteins and food ingredients. Benchmark & develop product application, especially ready to drink dairy beverages, using those characterized food ingredients from concept through commercialization.
- Apply knowledge of food ingredients, food products & food manufacturing processes to design experiments, plan & conduct experiments to demonstrate the effectiveness of the functional properties of microflora-based proteins in above dairy & food product applications.
- Use bench top, analytical & pilot plant tools to conduct the experiments.
- Get trained to perform sensory, food safety review & shelf life validation, write ingredient & finished good specification, develop product application material
- Coordinating activities to bring projects to completion, while working in a collegial team environment and proactively keeping everyone on the same page.
- Associate degree with 3 years’ experience in Food science or related field, BS degree and 0-3 years in Food science or related field. Candidates with hands on food analytical lab and food pilot plant experience preferred.
- Basic understanding of food ingredients, food analytical tools, food microbiology, unit operations in food processing, product formulation of dairy and other food products.
- Candidate must possess experience with food protein functional property characterization & dried pre-mixes
- Candidate must possess a high level of technical aptitude, excellent communication, organization, and collaborative skills, and demonstrated ability to innovate, troubleshoot, and thrive in a dynamic cross-functional team environment.
- Ability to think and adapt to a rapidly changing environment.
- Maintain a high degree of accuracy and meticulous attention to detail.
- Capable of high performance in independent work and in team setting.
- Ability to step up and do any activities as assigned including but not limited to – lab supply management, ingredient weighing, batching, recipe development, food processing, storage, shelf life, material characterization, shipping & utensils cleaning as needed.
- Position requires the ability to stand or sit for prolonged periods, climb, kneel, bend, and consistently lift up to 50 lbs.
- Position located in a mix of typical laboratory, workshop and kitchen environments, and requires a tolerance for high worker traffic, close quarters, noise, odors, dust, and varying room temperatures and lighting.