Location: Berkeley/Emeryville, CA
Position: Full time, exempt
Required Education: BS in logistics or supply chain management, or equivalent practical experience
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Logistics and supply chain
Perfect Day is working to commercialize animal-free dairy protein products made through fermentation in flora. We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Supply Chain Manager to own supply chain logistics for Perfect Day’s fermentation-derived animal-free dairy protein. The ideal candidate will be driven and will do what it takes to contribute to a small team in a fast paced, collaborative start-up environment.
- Plan, arrange, and manage transportation.
- Align logistics plans with production and order fulfillment schedules.
- Track and expedite shipments and make updates in IT systems.
- Manage shipping documents to support quality assurance and regulatory.
- Process over/short/damage cargo claims.
- Audit invoices for logistics and customs house brokerage services.
- Manage logistics service providers relationships and measure performance. Identify and implement international logistics best practices.
- Recommend logistics service providers to include in sourcing events.
- Coordinate U.S. import and export formalities.
- Manage parts lists and review U.S. import entries.
- Oversee packaging and labeling activities at CMOs.
- Recommend, manage and audit 3rd party food grade warehousing facilities in US.
- Track inventory levels in support of inventory control and planning activities.
- Estimate logistics/warehousing costs in support of supply chain modeling exercises.
- Proactively identify logistics/warehousing execution risks and recommend mitigation.
- Collect, comprehend, monitor and analyze customer and manufacturing partner requirements to develop strategies to achieve optimum delivery and order fill rates.
- B.S. logistics, B.S. supply chain management, or equivalent practical experience with at least 5 years of relevant experience.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Expertise managing truckload, less than truckload, air freight, ocean full container load, and ocean less than container load transportation.
- Experience arranging transportation and storage of temperature control or perishable cargo.
- Experience in inventory management. Experience with any ERP system will be a plus.
- Working knowledge of dangerous goods transportation regulations including U.S. DOT, ICAO/IATA, and IMDG. Experience with transportation management or supply chain execution system(s).
- Working knowledge of food safety regulations governing the transportation of food.
- Logistics/supply chain experience in food/dairy or biotechnology industry.
- Ability to work collaboratively with other functional areas such as manufacturing, sales & marketing, finance, environment/health/safety, and quality assurance.
- Demonstrates a proactive customer-first mindset.
- Practical application of lean and six sigma tools to improve processes will be a plus.
- Certification from ISM – CPSM, APICS – CSCP, or CSCMP – SCPro will be a plus.
- Familiarity with e-commerce logistics would be a plus
- Is highly organized, analytical, and detail oriented.
- Is comfortable with ambiguity and thrives in a dynamic environment.
Position located in a mix of typical laboratory, workshop and kitchen environments, and requires a tolerance for high worker traffic, close quarters, noise, odors, dust, transiently wet and dirty floors, and varying room temperatures and lighting.