We all love meat, but the way it’s currently made is inefficient and unhealthy. Even if we wanted to keep producing meat this way, we wouldn’t be able to feed our rapidly growing population in the coming decades.
At Mission Barns, we are cultivating animal cells to sustainably grow meat without the negative impacts of intensive animal agriculture. We start with a handful cells from select animals, grow them in a nutrient-rich environment, and harvest delicious, savory meat. Working at the convergence of biotech and food science, we’re on the path to creating a more sensible food system for the world.
To develop, optimize, and scale-up our production system, we need passionate, skilled team members who share our Mission to join us at the Barn.
- Full-time, exempt
- Berkeley, CA
- 3+ years post-PhD or equivalent industry experience
- Primary cell isolation
- Adaptation of animal cell lines to various conditions
- Differentiation optimization and screening
- Assay development, execution, and validation
- Development of novel cell culture media formulations is preferred
- Project planning, experimental design, data analysis, and troubleshooting
- Rigorous documentation, reporting, and presentation of data
- Stem/progenitor cell culture
- Cell biology expertise in relevant tissue types
- Knowledge of underlying molecular/genetic networks in relevant tissue types
- Serum-free media development is preferred
- Automation and high‑throughput/high‑content assay development and validation is preferred
- Driven to improve standard processes and develop innovative scientific methodologies
- Comfortable managing a growing team
- Ability to effectively interface with external collaborators
- Communicate openly and continuously intra-organizationally