As a Sr. Process Engineer, you will be a key member of our Process Sciences Team, responsible for the process development and the commercial scale up of innovative plant-based proteins. The engineer will be involved in both laboratory and pilot plant processing trials/testing, optimization of key process operating parameters from the lab to pilot plant scale, and technology transfer to manufacturing facilities.
- Identify, evaluate and implement relevant unit processes to successfully scale processes from lab to pilot & commercial scales.
- Design and manage pilot/commercial scale testing to optimize product quality and functionality.
- Design and manage pilot/commercial scale testing to optimize process efficiency, yield & throughput.
- Understand and implement analytical testing to gather critical data. Interpret and present data in scientific reports.
- Develop mass balances, process flow diagrams P&IDs, SOPs & batch records.
- Work closely with Process Development/Food Science team to assess products, developing critical understandings of the products from both process and formulation changes.
- Integral role in the management of the R&D process from lab scale to pilot scale ensuring well defined system & testing protocols.
- Technical expert for downstream equipment & processing. Demonstrating a detailed understanding of all standard unit operations used in downstream protein separation & isolation.
- Equipment installation and project engineering, working with vendors, experience with plant utilities, automation & controls critical.
- Develop processes in compliance with appropriate food GMPs and applicable food safety standards.
- Assess safety procedures and policies, participate in HAZOP process.
- Feasibility and optimization studies. Implement processes at the lab-scale and then scale up to pilot plant level
- PhD. (7 years) or master’s degree (minimum 10 years) in Chemical Engineering, or Food Engineering with relevant food or bioproducts processing experience, P.E. preferred, 10 + years’ experience preferred;
- Demonstrated Hands-on experience in laboratory and pilot plant food or bioprocessing plant setting, working knowledge with protein recovery processes preferred;
- Technical Subject Matter Expert with hands-on in solids-liquids separation methods, liquid-handling methods, filtration, heat transfer, plant sourced feed material size reduction techniques and standard protein unit operations.
- Strong leadership experiences in technology transfer to CMOs, and preferably demonstrated project management skills;
- Knowledge of FDA guidelines for process validation is recommended;
- Experience in cGLP, cGMP, Sanitary 3-A, HAACP, OSHA, and other relevant FDA guidelines and norms for food production necessary;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, strong organizational traits; team player;
- Able to pass a standard background check