The Project/Process Engineer will help to design, build, and commercialize new manufacturing processes, as well as drive continuous improvement of existing systems and processes. You will work cross-functionally with both internal and external partners to develop and improve processes at all levels of the organization and supply chain. Reporting to the VP of Engineering and working closely with the Process Sciences, Product Development, and Manufacturing groups, your role is critical to the overall success of the organization
Our ideal candidate will have a minimum BS degree in Chemical, Mechanical, or Biological Sciences Engineering with 2-10 years of experience in food, chemical, or biological manufacturing. You will have an acute curiosity about process performance and optimizing plant operations. You will be able to work independently with our manufacturing partners and be able to creatively adapt to changing timelines and priorities. You should be willing to understand the complete production process from protein source to waste water. Finally, you will want to be a vital contributor to a growing company.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Develop and communicate process designs through the use of process flow diagrams, P&ID’s, process narratives and heat and mass balances. Utilize data developed in collaboration with Process Sciences, Pilot Plant, Food Sciences and Product Development to scale up processes to commercial
- Identify equipment and suppliers to meet process requirements. Develop and execute capital projects to implement plant and process requirements and improvements.
- Work closely with our partner manufacturing facilities to scale up and optimize JUST processes. Coordinate capital projects and process improvements that enhance safety, product quality, and profitability.
- Lead shop-floor validation and capability studies at our partner manufacturing facilities to support continuous improvement and cost savings efforts.
- Visit co-manufacturers and make recommendations for capital and non-capital based efficiency improvements, and execute related projects.
- Minimum of BS in chemical, mechanical, or biological sciences engineering
- 2+ years of experience in process manufacturing environment, preferably in food, dairy, fermentation and/or pharmaceutical facilities.
- Experience in one or more of the following:
- Process engineering and design including creating H&M balances, process flow diagrams, scaling up process from pilot to commercial scales and/or,
- Project engineering including leading projects from concept through operations, equipment specification, installation, and commissioning
- Experience in Sanitary 3-A, USDA, and FDA food processing as well as HAACP, OSHA, and other norms for food production beneficial
- Capability to communicate effectively and work within a cross functional team using written and verbal tools. Ability to manage projects through influence as well as through contractual arrangements.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Self-motivated, flexible and possessing ability to “roll with the punches” in a fast-moving, fast-growing, start-up environment
- Ability to work in manufacturing environment that may involve use of ladders, stairs and elevated work platforms.
- Willingness to travel for work and can travel without restriction domestically and internationally.
- Able to pass a standard background check