As a Pilot Plant Engineer, you will be a key member of our Process Science Team, running the operation and optimization processes at the Pilot Plant. This is a unique opportunity to work side-by-side with talented chemists, process engineers, molecular biologists and culinary chefs at a cutting-edge food technology company on one of our newest product platforms.
- Ensure personnel and food safety protocol is observed and adhered to at all times
- Design and execute hands-on experiments, implementing lab and pilot-scale processes from bench to pilot equipment to meet application team requirements
- Ensure completion of batch process records for each lab/pilot run to enable accurate mass balance and tech transfer documentation
- Review, update and manage Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) to ensure that work is done safely and efficiently.
- Develop, support and/or optimize lab and pilot-scale manufacturing processes including drying, particle size reduction, extraction, filtration, separation, chemical modification, etc.
- Evaluate, procure and operate lab and pilot plant equipment to assess new materials, optimize production processes, and generate samples for characterization and application development
- Interpret and present analytical and experimental data
- Responsible for creating and implementing maintenance plans for equipment; troubleshoot
Education & Experience
- Bachelors in chemical engineering or related fields with at least 4 years of experience or Masters in chemical engineering or related fields with at least 2 years of experience, biopharmaceutical, nutraceutical, or food process development preferred
- Experience working in a laboratory and pilot plant setting
- Familiar with process equipment like spray dryers, decanters, and membranes
- Experience in cGLP, cGMP, Sanitary 3-A, HAACP, OSHA, and other relevant FDA guidelines and norms for food production beneficial
Skills and Qualifications
- Very flexible schedule with ability to be onsite and respond to shift needs of the Pilot Plant
- Hardworking, self-motivate with an innate ability to “roll with the punches” in a fast-moving, fast-growing, start-up environment
- Ability to multi-task and time management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Skillful in problem solving and trouble-shooting data, equipment, and procedures
Additional Information & Requirements
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.