The Food Scientist/Senior Scientist will be a key member of our Food Science team involved in physicochemical property characterization of new ingredients and developing innovative food products using these ingredients. You will be responsible for implementing assays to characterize functional properties of our proprietary ingredients as it relates to food product performance. You will also be engaged in application testing and food formulation development with these ingredients. You will be a critical link between our research team identifying new plant ingredients for screening and our process engineers and culinary chefs.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Serve as a technical expert to understand physicochemical properties of new proteins using principles of food chemistry, applied physics and material science
- Design and implement assays to systematically characterize functional properties of plant based ingredients using our automation platform and evaluate their performance in target food applications. Thoroughly analyze data to deduce clear conclusions and gather deeper understanding of structure-function relationship of the ingredients as it relates to target food applications
- Perform experiments to decipher how individual ingredients contribute to overall food system attributes such as texture, flavor, and stability
- Create product formulations and prototypes with identified protein as part of new product development projects
- Design, coordinate and conduct sensory studies
- Keep systematic and thorough records to support internal clients, external clients and intellectual property strategy
- Lead applied research by coordinating work streams with cross-functional teams of biochemists, bioinformaticians, process engineers and culinary experts providing status updates, key technical outcomes and project plans
- Manage multiple projects and adhere to fast timelines
- Mentor research associates and interns as required
- Encourage and drive invention
- Ph.D. in Food Science or other relevant field with 3 - 5 years of industry experience
- Proficiency in food ingredient and/or food formulation development across multiple food product categories.
- Solid background in food chemistry with specific emphasis on probing the physicochemical properties of proteins and their interactions with food macromolecules (lipids, carbohydrates) and micromolecules
- Demonstrated experience in experimental design, data analysis and statistical analyses
- Skilled in application development using laboratory equipment and pilot plant equipment
- Experience with material characterization such as rheology, microscopy, particle size analysis, etc. is a plus.
- Aptitude for creative problem solving - thinking out of the box, open to offer new ideas and willing to continuously learn
- Demonstrated skills in people and project management is preferred.
- Self-directed, takes ownership, and thrives in a collaborative and fast-paced start-up environment
- Excellent technical writing and communication skills
- Ability to pass a standard background check