In this role, you will have the opportunity to protect the oceans and conserve marine life by securing public funding to support research critical to the development of cell-based and plant-based seafood. You will also support our regulatory team’s efforts to ensure that seafood produced without fishing or aquaculture can compete in the marketplace.
The Senior Seafood Policy Specialist will be responsible for:
- Developing GFI’s strategy to encourage public investment in research critical to plant-based and cell-based seafood.
- Writing letters, policy briefs, and fact sheets to support GFI’s policy priorities.
- Researching policy approaches to fishing, aquaculture, and seafood processing in jurisdictions outside of the United States.
- Cultivating relationships with other nonprofit organizations to build alliances and create support for policies that will increase plant-based options and ready the path to market for cell-based seafood.
- Speaking publicly about policies relevant to plant-based and cell-based seafood and representing GFI at conferences and events.
- Working collaboratively with the GFI team on legislative efforts, regulatory filings, and other projects.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
The Senior Seafood Policy Specialist must have:
- A minimum of 5 years policy experience, ideally at a federal agency, congressional office, or nonprofit organization.
- A strong work ethic and self-motivation.
- A solutions-oriented mindset.
- Strong persuasive and analytical writing skills.
- Experience in coalition-building and developing consensus among partners with different but complementary objectives.
- The ability to communicate complex information clearly in writing and in oral presentations to a range of audiences.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- The ability to work independently and with a team.
- Sound judgment in decision-making, including setting and managing priorities, proposing and meeting deadlines, and resolving logistic challenges.
- Support for GFI’s philosophy and the ability to advocate professionally for GFI’s positions.
- Comfort working in a rapidly growing and evolving organization.
The ideal candidate would also have:
- A J.D. or master’s degree in policy, political science, or environmental science.
- Demonstrated expertise in U.S. oceans and seafood policy.
- Demonstrated interest in public health, environmentalism, animal protection, or hunger relief.
- The ability to contribute to the diversity of ideas and backgrounds on the Policy team.
We want the best people and we don’t want biases holding us back. We strongly encourage people of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability to apply. Because we value a diverse workplace, we prioritize an inclusive climate absent of discrimination and harassment during the application process and after you join the team.
- Terms of employment: Full-time, exempt
- Reports to: Jessica Almy, Director of Policy
- Location: Washington, D.C.
- Benefits: Full medical coverage, optional dental and vision packages, a 401(k) retirement plan with employer match, flexible work hours, flexible holiday and vacation plans, opportunity for advancement, respectful managers, and supportive colleagues.
- This is a U.S.-based position: We are only able to consider applicants who are United States citizens or who already possess a United States Worker Visa.
- Salary: $63,000-$65,000