Geltor is looking for a Scientist to join our Fermentation team in San Leandro, CA.
The Ferm Scientist will conduct research pertaining to strain selection, media development and scale-up and scale-down of manufacturing process to support the upstream development of bioprocesses for Geltor’s proprietary proteins. The scientist will make an immediate impact by designing experiments and interpreting data that influences the development of our high value products. This position will report to the Director of Fermentation.
- Set-up, design and perform weekly experiments in bioreactors, ranging in size from 250mL to 10L.
- Collect, analyze and present on-line and off-line data related to fermentations.
- Improve upon existing systems and incorporate new methods of analyses
- Develop assays to measure and analyze samples to gain deeper understanding of strain behavior, process characterization and performance analyses.
- Support process transfer to Pilot plant and assist scale-up and tech transfer to CRO/CMO partners.
- Provide knowledge and insights to inform utility, system or equipment upgrades or expansions.
- Maintain a clean, organized and safe workplace.
- Lead by example, champion Geltor, and uphold company values; motivate, and inspire team members to do the same - Mentor other team members
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, Fermentation, or related engineering or life science discipline; Masters degree with 3-5 years experience OK
- Strong understanding of biochemical engineering principles, bioprocess development fed-batch fermentation processes and feedback control systems, as well as cell culture
- Prior knowledge of bioreactor design; some hands-on expertise preferable
- Working knowledge of aerobic fermentation processes, various types of fermentation equipment and control software; off-gas analyses and fermentation media design is a plus.
- Advanced skill in Excel, VBA, and JMP or similar; fair knowledge of algorithm design is preferred
- Understanding of engineering principles such as mass balance, mass transfer, fluid mechanics and reactor deign preferred
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to effectively prioritize and complete high-quality projects amidst tight timelines and competing deadlines
- Ability to establish and maintain excellent record keeping and inventory.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to discuss complex technical concepts with a variety of audiences
- Ability to travel as needed – approximately 5-10% time