Work at GALY.
We are a group of passionate people with the hunger and drive to make a real-world impact, we are on a mission to save the planet by finding alternatives to produce things we all love, but better.
GALY’s platform integrates synthetic biology, bioinformatics and genomics to understand how plants work on a molecular level and recreate traditional products made of plants entirely from scratch, going from lab scale to commercial manufacturing.
By starting with cotton, we can produce cotton in a lab that is higher quality, faster and uses 80% less resources than the traditional way, imagine how the future can be? This is just the beginning.
As a Senior Scientist in Plant Cell Culture you will be responsible for setting and designing experiments to maintain, grow and multiply plant cells under sterile conditions, as well as explore circumstances that promote cell division and differentiation to develop a potent and stable plant cell lines. The successful candidate will utilize her/his knowledge of plant cell biology, morphology, anatomy, and physiology, techniques to support and help achieve GALY's mission. Salary and title will be commensurate with experience.
Plant Tissue Culture
- Maintain a germplasm source for the bank cell line
- Conducting screening and isolation of the plant cell from the cultured tissue and explants
- Create and maintain a cell bank with extent availability of “friable” callus tissue
- Growth and subculture of suspension cultures (batch and continuous cultures)
- Perform selection and optimization of culture medium for callus and cell suspension culture
- Explore techniques for synchronization of suspension cultures using physical (selection by volume and temperature shock) and/or chemical methods (starvation, inhibition, mitotic arrest)
- Perform measurement of growth in suspension cultures (cell counting, packed cell volume, cell fresh, and dry weight)
- Test the viability of cultured cells (phase-contrast microscopy, reduction of tetrazolium salts, fluorescein diacetate method, Evans blue staining)
- Perform single cells culture isolation plating technique (to culture isolated single-cell), filter paper raft nurse technique, microchamber technique (to culture low-density cell cultures), and scale-up technique (1 – 2 L bioreactors)
- Techniques to grow single-cell cultures from either plant organs cell suspension
- Knowledge in scientific method and experimental design (D.o.E)
- Write reports
- Knowledge in morphology and anatomy
- Microscopy techniques (light, confocal, scanning, transmission, ultra-resolution)
Plant Biochemistry and Physiology
- Knowledge of plant nutrition and its primary functions
- Knowledge in hormone metabolism and signaling in plants
- Knowledge in plant metabolism
- Advanced degree in Plant Cell Biology, Biotechnology, Plant Biochemistry, and Physiology or related fields. Ph.D. or MS with 6+ years of experience in the biotechnology or related industry
- 2+ years of supervisory experience to a junior scientist or research associate is preferred
- Boston, USA – Authorized to work in the U.S.
Work Environment / Physical Demands
Come and join our rapidly growing team, work with smart and dedicated people, and help develop cutting edge technologies that will have a lasting impact on the world. This position involves working primarily in a laboratory setting. As such, it requires the ability to stand or sit at the bench, the use of standard laboratory equipment as well as computers and office equipment. The position also requires communication with other individuals through a variety of methods.
- Fast-paced environment with rapidly growth opportunities
- Excellent full-time benefits including comprehensive medical coverage, dental, and vision options
- Life and disability insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Paid vacation and holidays
GALY is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), age, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected status by applicable law.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the functions, responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position, and GALY retains the discretion to modify functions, responsibilities, duties and skills at any time, including modifying the time devoted to such activities, deleting activities and assigning other activities.