Work at GALY.
We are a group of passionate people with the hunger and drive to make a real-world impact, we are on a mission to save the planet by finding alternatives to produce things we all love, but better.
GALY’s platform integrates synthetic biology, bioinformatics and genomics to understand how plants work on a molecular level and recreate traditional products made of plants entirely from scratch, going from lab scale to commercial manufacturing.
By starting with cotton, we can produce cotton in a lab that is higher quality, faster and uses 80% less resources than the traditional way, imagine how the future can be? This is just the beginning.
As a Senior Scientist in Plant Molecular Biology you will be responsible for conducting projects on plant genomics and transcriptomics, transgenic strategies, and gene-editing technologies, ultimately helping the development of Incredible Cotton. The successful candidate will utilize her/his knowledge of a wide variety of analytical molecular techniques to support and help achieve GALY's mission. Salary and title will be commensurate with experience.
- Conduct experiments to map gene expression levels into a morphological context using high-throughput gene sequencing technologies in a wide variety of sample types
- Identify and select biosynthetic pathways involved in the technology
- Mapping and selection of new genes of biosynthetic pathways selected
- Characterize the target genes
- Achieve cloning gene and recombinant techniques
- Perform primer design
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative experiments using Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and real-time quantitative PCR (qPCR) techniques
- Conduct and design transgenic strategies in plant cell cultures to engineer selected metabolic pathways
- Perform gene-editing technology in plant cell cultures
- Write reports and manuscripts
- Knowledge in at least one of these high-throughput techniques: transcriptomics, proteomics, and genomics
- Experience in design transgenic strategies and gene-editing technologies (Clustered Regularly Interspaced Short Palindromic Repeats – CRISPR)
- qPCR, PCR
- Cloning gene approaches
- Experience in biochemical analysis using High performance liquid chromatography (HPLC), gas chromatography mass spectrometry (GC-MS) and Liquid Chromatography Mass Spectrometry (LC-MS)
- Familiarity in bioinformatics and software-driven untargeted genes and metabolite profiling approaches
- Experience in statistical analyses
- Familiarity with G suite/MS Office and an electronic laboratory notebook (ELN) system is desirable
- Great team player with strong interpersonal and collaboration skills
- Advanced degree in Plant Biology, Biotechnology, or related fields. Ph.D. or MS with 6+ years of experience in the biotechnology, plant molecular biology, plant development, plant biochemistry and physiology or related industry.
- Be able to use high-throughput sequences technologies to recognize which genes are induced, repressed, and co-expressed during fiber development.
- 2+ years of supervisory experience to a junior scientist or research associate is preferred.
- Boston, USA – Authorized to work in the U.S.
Work Environment / Physical Demands
Come and join our rapidly growing team, work with smart and dedicated people, and help develop cutting edge technologies that will have a lasting impact on the world. This position involves working primarily in a laboratory setting. As such, it requires the ability to stand or sit at the bench, the use of standard laboratory equipment as well as computers and office equipment. The position also requires communication with other individuals through a variety of methods.
- Fast-paced environment with rapidly growth opportunities
- Excellent full-time benefits including comprehensive medical coverage, dental, and vision options
- Life and disability insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Paid vacation and holidays
GALY is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), age, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected status by applicable law.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the functions, responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position, and GALY retains the discretion to modify functions, responsibilities, duties and skills at any time, including modifying the time devoted to such activities, deleting activities and assigning other activities.