Work at GALY.
We are a group of passionate people with the hunger and drive to make a real-world impact, we are on a mission to save the planet by finding alternatives to produce things we all love, but better.
GALY’s platform integrates synthetic biology, bioinformatics and genomics to understand how plants work on a molecular level and recreate traditional products made of plants entirely from scratch, going from lab scale to commercial manufacturing.
By starting with cotton, we can produce cotton in a lab that is higher quality, faster and uses 80% less resources than the traditional way, imagine how the future can be? This is just the beginning.
As a Scientist in Plant Cell Culture you will be responsible for conducting laboratory activities involved in screening, selection, stabilization, and isolation of a high producing cell line, conducting experiments for test different culturing conditions. The successful candidate will utilize her/his knowledge of laboratory activities to support and help achieve GALY's mission. Salary and title will be commensurate with experience.
Plant Tissue Culture
- Ability to work aseptically in a laminar flow cabinet
- Maintenance of the mother plants in the greenhouse
- Provide high-quality explant source
- Perform medium preparation for growth and multiplication of in Vitro Culture
- Know the apparatus and compound used in Plant Cell Culture
- Perform measurement of growth in Suspension Cultures (cell counting, packed cell volume, cell fresh, and dry weight)
- Test the viability of cultured cells (phase-contrast microscopy, reduction of tetrazolium salts, fluorescein diacetate method, Evans blue staining)
- Perform single cells culture isolation
- Knowledge of statistics
- Knowledge in scientific method and experimental design (D.o.E)
- Knowledge in morphology and anatomy
- Microscopy techniques (light, confocal, scanning, transmission, ultra-resolution)
Plant Biochemistry and Physiology
- Knowledge of plant nutrition and its primary functions
- Plant hormones
- Cell viability
- BS/BA 1-2 years of experience in basic laboratory research
- Experience with plant tissue culture and molarity
- Boston, USA – Authorized to work in U.S.
Work Environment / Physical Demands
Come and join our rapidly growing team, work with smart and dedicated people and help develop cutting edge technologies that will have a lasting impact on the world. This position involves working primarily in a laboratory setting. As such this position requires the ability to stand or sit at the bench, the use of standard laboratory equipment as well as computers and office equipment. The position requires communication with other individuals through a variety of methods.
- Fast paced environment with rapidly growth opportunities
- Excellent full-time benefits including comprehensive medical coverage, dental, and vision options
- Life and disability insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Paid vacation and holidays
GALY is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), age, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected status by applicable law.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the functions, responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position, and GALY retains the discretion to modify functions, responsibilities, duties and skills at any time, including modifying the time devoted to such activities, deleting activities and assigning other activities.