● The Senior Protein Scientist will lead protein research, discovery & analysis projects in line with Clara Foods’ product commercialization strategy.
● Optimize internal and external analytical resources to provide timely and reliable analytical support to multiple functional teams within Clara Foods organization.
● Partner with Downstream processing team to develop protocols for isolating high purity proteins from microbial, plant or animal sources.
● Regular inspection, calibration and maintenance of analytical instrumentation.
● Align with commercialization team on timely procurement, evaluation & generation of know-how for protein candidates to enrich Clara’s protein discovery funnel.
● The ideal candidate will have a master’s degree in protein chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology or similar program and have 5 to 10 years of experience in an industrial setting (e.g. analytical chemistry, biotechnology, food chemistry, protein chemistry) or a Ph.D. in the one of these areas with 3-5 years of professional analytical experience.
● Experience working in a GLP/GMP lab environment and familiarity with lab safety best practices is required.
● Skilled in standard protein and small molecule separation and characterization techniques (e.g. SDS-PAGE, capillary electrophoresis, enzymology, NMR, CD, UV/Vis/Fluorescence spectroscopy, HPLC, LC/GC-MS).
● Direct experience operating column chromatography system (e.g. AKTA), HPLC, microfluidics, high throughput analysis platforms would be highly desirable.
● Experience in enzyme activity measurements using kit-based systems as well as in model food systems would be highly desirable.
● Familiarity with common bacteria and fungi that positively or negatively influence food quality, functionality and shelf life would be a plus.