As a BioProcess Engineer, you will be leading the development and optimization of fermentation and downstream purification of recombinant proteins. You will primarily be involved in evaluating and optimizing key process parameters of relevant unit operations from the lab to pilot scale.
Reports to: Director, Process Development
Role and Responsibilities:
- Develop and optimize microbial fermentation processes
- Execute the tactical direction in process development and related technologies
- Develop and implement potential novel upstream processes to improve protein production rate, titer, yield and purity
- Develop and potential novel downstream processes to purify proteins, increase recovery and maintain functionality
- Perform data analysis to develop understanding of the tradeoffs between process parameters and key performance indicators
- Help with equipment installation, commissioning, maintenance, support working with vendors
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with internal teams and external tech partners
- Develop processes in compliance with appropriate food GMPs and applicable food safety standards.
- Ph.D. in Bio/Chemical Engineering or related field, OR M.S. with 5 years of experience, OR B.S. with 8 years of experience
- Technical knowledge or expertise in development, implementation and optimization of fermentation processes strongly preferred
- Technical knowledge or expertise in multiple downstream processing unit operations including centrifugation, MF/UF, column chromatography, lyophilization, and spray drying strongly preferred
- Experience in pilot and industrial settings preferred
- Experience with design of experiment, statistical analysis, and modeling preferred
- Self-starter with strong organizational, and general communication skills.
- Comfortable working within a small, collaborative team, passionate about changing the food space
- Able and willing to travel as necessary (domestic and international)
- Must be authorized to work in the United States for Clara Foods.
What Clara can offer:
- Generous benefits package; medical, dental, vision, 401k, commuter benefits, free parking, life insurance, and more
- Unlimited paid time off and 10 paid company holidays per year
- Free gym and yoga classes onsite
- Unlimited supply of sparkling water, granola bars, local coffees, and teas
- Weekly happy hours and quarterly company outings
- Monthly all-hands meetings and 1:1 with CEO and leadership