Bolt Threads is looking for a hands-on Research Associate to support R&D of vegan textile from silk protein and vegan bioleather from mushroom mycelium. The ideal candidate will have strong technical fundamentals, practical experience in the design and execution of experiments, as well as a thorough knowledge of materials science. This position will play a key role in a multidisciplinary research team working to develop processes for the manufacturing of novel biomaterial products.
You’ll be Excited to Come to Work Because…
- You’ll have the ability to make a significant, positive impact on a team, a company, and the world.
- You’ll get honest feedback that’s given in the service of helping us get better at what we do.
- You’ll encounter unique (often ambiguous) challenges, and diverse teams working to solve them
- You’ll find innovative approaches to science, technology, and culture.
- Elucidate the relationships between the structure, process and properties of materials derived from recombinant protein or mycelium.
- Design and execute experiments, analyze data, and present results/conclusions in formal written technical reports and verbal presentations.
- Support development and characterization of novel materials and products.
- Support the process development, scale-up, and routine pilot scale operations.
- Work independently and collaboratively on solving challenging technical problems.
- Develop, maintain, and follow standard operating procedures (SOP’s).
- Work safely at all times while promoting the company’s safety culture.
This Team will be Excited to Have You Because You Bring...
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a relevant scientific discipline (e.g. Materials Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Composites engineering, Textiles Engineering, Polymer Chemistry, Polymer science, Bio materials and Tissue Engineering, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering)
- 1-2 years of experimental research experience, excluding coursework.
- Ability to work safely in a laboratory environment.
- Ability to maintain and trouble-shoot material testing equipment.
- Good organization skills time management, written and oral communication skills.
- Research experience using materials characterization techniques (e.g. thermal analysis) and mechanical testing is highly favorable.
- Knowledge of a programming language (e.g. Python, Octave) is favorable.
- Knowledge of statistical software (e.g. JMP) and data visualization software (e.g. Tableau) is favorable.