We’re Looking For...
A self-motivated, hands-on Process Engineer to lead development and scale-up of protein recovery processes. The ideal candidate will enjoy working at laboratory, pilot plant, and production scales. They will have practical experience in the design and execution of experiments and knowledge of different separations processes and equipment. The ideal candidate will appreciate the challenge of continuous process improvements in yield, quality, and economics. They will motivate and mentor other team members through their technical curiosity and leadership. They will be able to collaborate effectively and efficiently within teams, across the company, and with external vendors and partners (such as CRO’s and CMO’s). This position will play a key role on multidisciplinary teams working to manufacture novel silk protein fibers and other biomaterials for textiles and other applications.
You’ll be Excited to Come to Work Because…
- You will have the ability to make a significant, positive impact on a team, a company, and the world.
- You will get honest feedback that’s given in the service of helping us get better at what we do.
- You will encounter unique (often ambiguous) challenges, and diverse teams working to solve them
- You will find innovative approaches to science, technology, and culture.
- Lead development of commercially scalable processes for protein recovery and other bio-material production
- Design and execute experiments, analyze data, write technical reports, and present during team meetings
- Collaborate with team members on experimental approaches and overall project planning
- Research, learn, and incorporate promising techniques and technologies in protein purification
- Lead tech transfer, start-up, and process optimization efforts
- Assist in the preparation of technology transfer documents including detailed process descriptions, mass balances, process flow diagrams (PFD’s)
- Author batch records highlighting key process parameters and identifying critical sampling points that impact product quality
- Develop, maintain, and follow standard operating procedures (SOP’s); participate in hazards and operations reviews (HAZOP’s)
- Contribute to Bolt’s safety culture through continuous improvement and incorporating industry standards for safe practices.
This Team will be Excited to Have You Because You Bring...
- Degree in Chemical Engineering or equivalent, B.S. with 7+ years, M.S. with 5+ years, or PhD with 3+ years of relevant experience
- Experience with standard unit operations that may include solid-liquid separation, solvent extraction, membrane separation, centrifugation, cell disruption, drying, etc. (chromatography and IX experience is a plus)
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, excellent written and verbal communication within the group and for the broader organization
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 25% in support of CRO or CMO activities
- Experience managing or mentoring other team members is a plus