At Eighteen B, a wholly owned subsidiary of Bolt Threads, we are on a mission to change the skincare industry one ingredient at a time. Inspired by nature, devoted to science, committed to sustainability, Eighteen B is scientifically designed skincare for the confident skincare explorer. Through rigorous scientific research and transparency, we develop innovative, safe, effective, cruelty-free skincare products unlike anything else on the market. We are a venture-backed, idea-driven company, led by world-class scientific and product development talent, as well as experienced executives from the skincare and beauty industries.
We’re Looking For...
A Senior Marketing leader with extensive experience at digitally native brands, who knows how to build a world-class brand and is committed to delivering results. You're unafraid to test, iterate and fail fast. The ideal candidate has deep beauty and/or skincare experience. This person is proactive, collaborative, comfortable executing independently (at times without a team) and/or leading a cross-functional team. This role can be completely remote.
The ideal candidate is data-driven, tremendously analytical and not intimidated by deep science; is comfortable identifying interesting stories and working cross-functionally to tell those stories at the right place and time. This person will develop Eighteen B’s positioning and vision, and oversee execution across all marketing channels - brand and growth; responsibilities include strategic development, budget management, owning the sales plan and bottoms-up marketing plans, creative approvals, team and agency management, reporting, and partnerships.
To be successful, this person must be able to develop company-wide relationships, embody Eighteen B values, comfortably work with the team distributed across the country, and proactively look for ways to improve as we continue to grow.
You’ll be Excited to Come to Work Because…
- You’ll have the ability to make a significant, positive impact on a team, a company, and the world.
- You’ll encounter unique (often ambiguous) challenges, and diverse teams working to solve them.
- You’ll find innovative approaches to science, technology, marketing, and culture.
- You love the challenge of setting and driving a team to deliver on sales goals.
Within the first 30 days you will…
- Evaluate the marketing organizational structure and partners, and take a position on resource needs whether it be employees, freelancers or consultants.
- Understand who the Eighteen B customer is, and identify if there are research and insight gaps in where we will find her and how we market to her.
- Develop or enhance marketing calendar through end of year, 2019.
- Understand the brand guidelines and voice and evaluate where there are opportunities for refinement across channels, including E-comm (website).
- Partner with creative, research and development, and operations teams to understand cross-functional dependencies.
- Build relationships across the organization, including at the executive level.
- Begin to understand Bolt’s & Eighteen B’s science and product development process.
- Understand Eighteen B’s strategic pillars and name Marketing’s strategic priorities that ladder up to these pillars.
In the first 60 days you will…
- Formalize 2019 strategy that drives the perfect harmony between Brand and Growth.
- Develop clear KPIs and report monthly and annually to key stakeholders.
- Cultivate and drive a culture of KPIs, insights, and timely action.
- Identify and remedy areas where cross-functional processes could be stronger.
- Lead marketing’s strategic priorities and execute with KPIs and success criteria.
- Develop and own the Eighteen B partnership strategy for 2019.
- Address any resourcing adjustments that should be made to deliver on plan.
This Team will be Excited to Have You Because You Bring…
- Master’s degree preferred
- 2+ years of Consulting experience
- 5+ years of Brand and Performance Marketing experience
- Beauty or CPG experience
- Digital and DTC experience
- Strong sense of curiosity and resilience
- Seasoned in omni-marketing channels (DTC, Retail and Distribution)
- Experience with international brands and launches a plus
- Love for data, intensely deep levels and layers of data
- Decisive. The ability to know when to test a theory, for how long and when to pull the trigger to go big or pause and re-evalutate
- Excellent interpersonal and team management skills
- Comfort with ambiguity
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality and handle issues of a sensitive nature with tact and discretion
- This position can be based in Los Angeles, Portland or Emeryville, plan to travel 25% of the time between those two locations.