Bolt Threads is looking for an experienced composite research engineer/scientist to support the development of novel material using Bolt’s unique biomaterials. The ideal candidate will have strong technical fundamentals, practical experience in the design and execution of experiments, as well as a thorough knowledge of composite design, sample fabrication and characterization. This position will play a key role in a multidisciplinary research team working to develop novel natural fiber-reinforced composites.
You’ll be Excited to Come to Work Because…
- You’ll have the ability to make a significant, positive impact on a team, a company, and the world.
- You’ll get honest feedback that’s given in the service of helping us get better at what we do.
- You’ll encounter unique (often ambiguous) challenges, and diverse teams working to solve them.
- You’ll find innovative approaches to science, technology, and culture.
Within the first 30 days, you will…
- Learn established standard operating procedures (SOP’s) for flexible composite fabrication and characterization.
- Formulate and fabricate fiber-reinforced composites with varying properties from various biomaterials.
- Investigate root causes of product failures.
- Design and execute experiments, analyze data, and present the conclusions to the project teams.
- Use Benchling to register result data and established analysis tools to interpret the results.
- Engage with EHS to perform job hazard assessment (JHA) for new processes.
Within the first 60 days, you will…
- Own the development of methods for composite mechanical testing and characterization.
- Design natural fiber-reinforced composites with improved mechanical properties for soft goods and structural applications.
- Consult with the product development team to ensure that products meet specifications.
- Analyze and interpret the results from most of the laboratory instruments.
- Author SOPs and technical reports for several stakeholders.
- Present results and conclusions to stakeholders across several functional areas.
- Establish relationships between the structure and properties of the natural fiber composites made at Bolt Threads.
This Team will be Excited to Have You Because You Bring…
- MS or Ph.D. degree in a relevant discipline (e.g. Composites engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Textiles Engineering, Polymer Chemistry, Biomaterials).
- 3+ years of experience in fiber-reinforced composite design (e.g. laminate fabrication, fiber placement, bonded assemblies) and manufacturing methods (e.g. bag molding, compression molding).
- Up to date knowledge of the relevant literature regarding composites and material sciences including resin systems.
- Good organization skills time management, written and oral communication skills.
- Materials mechanical and thermal characterization experience.
- Computer-aided design (e.g. Solidworks, Fusion 360) and CNC machining experience.
- Experience developing composites using natural fibers (e.g. silk, cotton) and non-petroleum based resins is highly favorable.
- Knowledge of a programing language (e.g. Python, Octave) is favorable.