BlueNalu is seeking a Scientist with a strong background in tissue engineering to work on product development of new cell-based seafood products that will define the future of food. This role will focus on methods for engineering products from cells, design and development of formulations, and on analytical analysis of product characteristics and performance. The Scientist will work in collaboration with internal R&D and engineering staff, external collaborators and BlueNalu’s Corporate Chef. This position will require significant knowledge of ingredient functionality and require significant hands-on laboratory work. Successful candidates will join a high-performance and fast-paced team where everybody’s contribution is equally important. Candidates should be highly motivated, organized, proactive, and able to balance multiple projects.
- Test product formulations and determine impacts on nutritional and sensory attributes needed to develop a product which meets the target specifications
- Lead new product development and improvements to existing formulations
- Develop and document specifications and testing protocols as required for new products development and validation
- Work cross-functionally with R&D, Engineering, and Marketing to successfully deliver product formulations that meet target specifications
- Identify, plan, initiate and conduct product testing projects in-house and in collaboration with 3rdparties
- Identify opportunities for process optimization and ingredient cost savings
- Lead interactions with potential ingredient and manufacturing suppliers
- Collaborate with suppliers and vendors to effectively source materials and services
- May lead small team to achieve project goals and direct activities to meet project milestones
- Provide regular updates to the project team and management on project timelines and deliverables
- Preparation of invention disclosures and other IP documentation as required
- Some weekend work may be required
- MS or PhD in Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering, Cell Biology, Materials Science, Food Technology, or equivalent
- Applicants with a PhD and 1+ years of industry experience, MS and 5+ years of industry experience, or Bachelor’s degree with 8+ years of industry experience will be considered.
- Demonstrated experience in tissue engineering of 3D cell structures
- Extensive knowledge in biomaterials ingredient interactions and functionality
- Knowledgeable about engineering methods to generate 3D tissues
- Ability to design, develop, and validate analytical techniques for product testing
- Demonstrated ability to conceive, plan and execute projects
- Ability to summarize, interpret and review experimental data with adequate computer skills for data acquisition, data management and visualization of experimental results
An Ideal Candidate will also demonstrate:
- Experience with primary muscle and/or fat cell expansion and differentiation
- Understanding of food regulations (FDA)
- Working knowledge of food processing and industry best practices
- Working knowledge of product development and formulations
- Experience with sensory testing of food including texture and flavor
BlueNalu, Inc. provides an attractive compensation and benefits package.
All applicants must be authorized to work in the US, and willing and able to work a flexible work schedule to meet the needs of the Company. BlueNalu, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a small but quickly growing company where everybody’s contribution is equally important. BlueNalu is seeking team players that aredriven, focused, creative, proactive and productive, with excellent written and verbal communication skills, and excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. We are also seeking team members that enjoy and thrive in the atmosphere of a very fast-paced entrepreneurial environment, have a good sense of humor, and are personally motivated to make a difference to humanity and our planet.