BlueNalu is seeking a patent agent with a background in the life sciences to work on intellectual property for products that will define the future of food. This role will focus on database searches, IP portfolio maintenance, patent drafting and prosecution, and analyses of relevant literature. The patent agent will work in collaboration with internal R&D and engineering staff, outside counsel and BlueNalu’s CTO. This position will require significant knowledge of cell biology, material sciences, and chemistry. Successful candidates will join a high-performance and fast-paced team where everybody’s contribution is equally important. Candidates should be highly motivated, organized, proactive, and able to balance multiple projects.
This position is located at our offices in San Diego but working remotely for up to 80% of the time is possible and encouraged. The position is initially part-time with the potential conversion to full-time in 2021/22.
- Prepare invention disclosures and other IP documentation in collaboration with R&D and Engineering staff
- Prepare, draft and file patent applications
- Perform research and analysis, and provide guidance on a variety of patent and IP-related issues
- Conduct prior art database searches for freedom to operate analyses
- Evaluate the patentability of innovations
- Develop and maintain internal IP database
- Interact with outside counsel on a regular basis
- Analyze patents and scientific papers
- Write technical summaries of inventions and research findings
- Provide regular updates to the project team and management on project timelines and deliverables
- PhD and 2-3 years of previous patent prosecution experience in Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Materials Science, or equivalent
- Applicants with a MS and 5+ previous patent prosecution experience will be considered
- Demonstrated experience in patent drafting and filing
- Demonstrated experience in patent searches and organizing resulting data
- Extensive knowledge in cell biology, biomaterials and chemistry
- Must be registered to practice as a Patent Agent with the USPTO
- Demonstrated ability to conceive, plan and execute projects
- Ability to summarize, interpret and review experimental data
- Excellent technical writing skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
An Ideal Candidate will also demonstrate:
- Familiarity with cell culture techniques
- Knowledgeable about engineering methods to generate 3D tissues
- Working knowledge of bio-processing technologies
- Working knowledge of product development and formulations
BlueNalu, Inc. provides an attractive compensation and benefits package.
All applicants must be authorized to work in the US, and willing and able to work a flexible work schedule to meet the needs of the Company. BlueNalu, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a small but quickly growing company where everybody’s contribution is equally important. BlueNalu is seeking team players that aredriven, focused, creative, proactive and productive, with excellent written and verbal communication skills, and excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. We are also seeking team members that enjoy and thrive in the atmosphere of a very fast-paced entrepreneurial environment, have a good sense of humor, and are personally motivated to make a difference to humanity and our planet.