The Good Food Institute’s Business Innovation Specialist will have a critical role in ensuring that a good food future happens as quickly and efficiently as possible. You will discover, motivate, and empower the entrepreneurs who will develop the latest innovations in plant-based and cell-based meat, eggs, and dairy. Transforming the $800 billion animal agriculture industry and developing a sustainable food system will require a vast network of innovators in business development, marketing, logistics, and more.
As the Business Innovation Specialist, it will be your job to build that network by:
- Developing and executing a strategic plan for identifying high-potential entrepreneurs (serial entrepreneurs, those with experience working for a startup that want to found their own companies, or those with corporate business experience ready to strike out on their own) and inspiring them to start companies in the plant-based or cell-based meat, dairy, and egg industries through event presentations, webinars, and one-to-one interaction.
- Presenting dynamic and engaging talks at top universities for business, management, and entrepreneurship (especially those that also have strong food and biotechnology programs) to inspire the next generation of innovators to start or join plant-based and clean food companies.
- Planning and executing major city events such as panel discussions and conferences to engage large business community audiences interested in plant-based and cell-based meat entrepreneurship and investment.
- Providing consulting/advisory services to entrepreneurs to help them be successful at starting their companies, including assistance with business plan development and evaluation, communication with investors, and scaling with both suppliers and customers.
- Collaborating with GFI’s other departments to establish strong networks with technology, policy, and business know-how.
Who We’re Looking For
We are seeking smart, thoughtful, and creative self-starters who want to push back against climate change, transform industrial animal agriculture, and develop healthy and humane foods that are accessible to everyone.
The Business Innovation Specialist must have:
- Significant startup experience and/or a bachelor's degree or higher in business administration, entrepreneurship, marketing, or a related field.
- Exceptional public speaking skills.
- Dynamic networking and interpersonal skills.
- Proven business acumen and fluency in the language of startups; prior experience working in or with successful startups is a plus.
- Strong writing ability.
- Self-motivated, works well both independently and in concert with a larger group.
- Fluency in biology, chemistry, engineering, or a related scientific field is preferred.
- Comfort working remotely and in a rapidly growing and evolving organization.
- Ability to travel extensively, e.g., traveling for a 3-week period presenting at multiple universities with the following month at home.
- Strong support for GFI’s philosophy and mission.
We want the best people and we don’t want biases holding us back. We strongly encourage people of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability to apply. Because we value a diverse workplace, we prioritize an inclusive climate absent of discrimination and harassment during the application process and after you join the team.
- Terms of employment: Full-time, exempt
- Reports to: Director of Innovation Brad Barbera
- Location: Remote; United States. Strong preference for Bay Area or Boston.
- Benefits: Working from home or a co-working space (whichever you prefer), full medical coverage, optional dental and vision packages, a 401(k) retirement plan, flexible holiday and vacation plans, room for advancement, respectful managers, and supportive colleagues.
- This is a U.S.-based position: We are only able to consider applicants who are United States citizens or who already possess a United States Worker Visa. We cannot sponsor visa applications.
- Salary: $45,000-$60,000